Friday, January 7, 2011

The Challenge!

It was a miserable 5 hours! I say only 5 hours because that's all I spent not using any form of media. Five whole hours of no television, radio, INTERNET, and CELLPHONE!!! The challenge was to avoid any form of media for a full 12 hours as instructed by my professor. However, I only managed five hours sad to say...So what did I do to entertain myself? After a two in half hour nap and a hour or so of me playing with my hair, I've came to the conclusion that this was not going to work out for me. One thing that I cannot go without is my cellphone. I don't get a lot of calls throughout the day but text messages are vital to me. A lot of my family and friends call or text message letting me know what's going on. With me having a little sister who I must care for every afternoon, and a overbearing father who calls me every hour to make sure her needs are met; the phone, was the first challenge that could not be met. The next was the internet. Mostly everything that I need is on here. Bank statements, email, news, T.V. episodes, and social networks. I did get on the computer to finish up assignments for my class but usually I go on Facebook for a well deserve break or Youtube to listen to music. After finishing my work on the computer this challenge was left unmet as well. The easiest was the newspaper. I rarely read the newspaper seeing that most of the news is on the internet. That form of media was no problem.
What I have found out is that I use the phone and internet more than any other media source. I can do without TV, newspapers, and books because they can all be found on the internet. This short lived experience did not open too many more possibilities for me. I have become too involved with my everyday media routine. Maybe one day I will not turn to these forms of media for relief. But as of right now, I will just stick to what I know best. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment