Friday, January 7, 2011

In the Words of Tiffany

I feel that this blog will be different from most because I interviewed my cousin who is 33 years old. Not too old. Either way, it will have to do. My cousin, Tiffany, talk to me about her experience with television growing up.
The most frustrating part of this interview was having her describe the impact of television on her life. She did not have much to say about that. Tiff later on explained how and why her attitude towards television has changed. One thing that she talks about were the number of family shows TV had back in the day. Some examples that she gave were shows like The Cosby's and Sanford&Son. "These shows taught the importance of family and values and you do not see shows like that anymore today." Some of her favorite shows are on network ABC. "I like Extreme Home Makeover because it takes a negative situation and transforms it into a positive one. People need to see that more these days. Bravo and TV One are my favorite networks on cable."
"Some experiences that that I remember relates to politics and news. When Obama won the 2008 election and the disaster of Hurricane Katrina" Tiffany says.
We have recently learned that when cable was created, the top network stations that broadcast news such as NBC, ABC, and CBS ratings began to decrease. I reference this experience with news stations today and asked Tiff which one does she prefer: Cable news or Network News? "Network news display more local news while cable addresses a broader range of news, like regional and national. I would choose CNN over News Channel 5 any day," she says.
As our interview came to a close she said how TV is very entertaining. "T.V. brings both positive and negative aspects to our society. If I want a good laugh, I'll turn on some kind of reality show and laugh! When I want to see the news, I'll just turn on CNN or FOX news. If I want to listen to music, I'll go to one of the music networks, BET, MTV, OR VH1 and listen to music. It is amazing to see how much T.V has changed through the years but one thing is missing out of all these channels...family oriented shows." After interviewing Tiff, I must say that I do agree with what she said. Everything on Television has become so provocative and sexual. What about family? Isn't that what matters the most? I'm not trying to be overly, sensitive or anything like that. I'm just reiterating what was said in the words of Tiffany.

No comments:

Post a Comment